Thursday, August 18, 2011

Reflections on a week of VBS

Here at NCPC we just finished up Vacation Bible School (VBS), and I want to put together some of my thoughts on the week. I will try to unpack why we put on VBS, and then look at what I learned from it. I will not try to put together a theological justification for, nor argue the merits of VBS, but will try to give some of my thoughts on the nature of our ministry during VBS.

But before I begin to explore these topics, I want to say that this last week was so much fun! I taught the second grade class, and was blessed to have these children under my care for the entire week. I had time to share the gospel, as well as share God’s hope in the midst of life’s struggles with them. This week was truly a blessing, and I want to thank the parents and kids for allowing me to be a part of their lives.

So with that said, I will discuss two topics: “Why we put on VBS?” and “What I learned from VBS.” I hope that you will find this encouraging, and challenging as you examine your participation in VBS, as well as our children’s ministry.

Why do we put on VBS?

I think we put on VBS for two reasons: Teach Christ in both word and deed, as well as to Build a bridge for the gospel.
  • Teach Christ
The first reason that we put on VBS is to teach Christ. For the majority of these children hearing about Christ was “old hat”, but for some they have had no exposure to Christ or christianity beyond what they see on TV or their parents tell them. As a teacher I had two goals: the first was to introduce the kids to Christ, and the second was to show the kids Christ.

First, it was my main goal to tell the second graders about Christ. Not just who He was as a person, or His a moral example for our lives, but also what he has done for us. In other words, I wanted to tell them the good news of salvation. My desire was to connect these second graders to the realities of the cross, and the empty tomb. I found that this was one of the most difficult, and yet rewarding times of the week. Teaching the children about how we can be free from the condemnation, and power of sin through faith in Christ was amazing.

Second, it was my goal to show these children Christ through my actions. Although I am certain that I did not model Christ perfectly to these children (That’s an understatement!), I am sure that Christ uses broken vessels, like me, to minister His grace to these children. By taking the time to get to know these kids we are modeling what Christ has done for us. He became a man, and identified with our struggles/sufferings, and then provided us with the hope that through Him our sins can be forgiven. This is the hope of our salvation!

As we teach these children Christ through both our words, and our deeds we are fulfilling the command to spread the seed of God’s word in our community. Now we get the pleasure of praying for the Spirit to come, and cause growth unto salvation in these children’s lives.
  • Build a bridge for the gospel
During VBS parents drop their children off with us for a week of teaching, training, and fun. This gives us an incredible view into their lives, and also provides us with an opportunity to build a bridge for the gospel into their lives. What do I mean by “build a bridge”? When I talk about “building a bridge” I am talking about providing the context within which inter-personnal ministry can take place.

Through the relationships we developed during VBS, we have  been able to build a bridge into these children’s lives. It is with these bridges that we are able to take the healing balm of the gospel, and apply it to the lives of these children. Through these interactions, God provided opportunities not only to speak into the child’s life, but also into the lives of the entire family.

What I learned?

Well sadly, I have to admit that at first my goals for working VBS were not the same as these stated goals. I taught VBS because I love children, and I knew that we needed a position filled. These two self-serving goals could not, and would not reach the goals that should be at the heart of a ministry like VBS.

But as the time grew nearer, and my prayers changed, I noticed my goals changed as well. This was where the transformation took place in my life. As God changed my heart to be less concerned with what I wanted to get out of VBS, and more concerned with what He wants from VBS, my joy in service grew. As my eyes shifted focus from building my kingdom, to building God’s kingdom, He was faithful to provide the opportunities for gospel work to be done.

For example, after the second day of VBS I was frustrated with myself, I reached the end of the day and realized that I had gone almost the entire day without giving these children a real, clear presentation of the gospel. As I spent that night preparing, and praying for the next day I asked God for forgiveness, and for the wisdom to give these children the gospel. God answered my prayers, for the majority of the next day’s class time it felt as though I did not have to even try to bring up the gospel, THE KIDS BROUGHT IT UP THEMSELVES! God was kind to bring about opportunities for me, and my helpers to share His wonderful grace with these kids.

As this week drew to a close I realized how blessed I was to be able to teach Christ, and build a bridge for the gospel with these children. I hope and pray that as you read this you will be encouraged to continue to pray for the children who attended VBS, their families, as well as our children’s ministry at NCPC.

Pray specifically that:
  1. God’s word would take root in these children’s hearts, and that this would produce salvation, or build them in their faith.
  2. God would raise up faithful teachers, and leaders not just for VBS but for our children’s ministry as well.
  3. Pray with thanksgiving for Barbara Smith, Donna Pipkin, and Kristen Johnson. Thank God for their faithful service in leading, and praying for us!
I hope that you will be challenged, and encouraged to join us next year as we have the opportunity to be used to tell and show these children Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment