Thursday, August 18, 2011

IBCD Summer Institute: Plenary Session 2 “When Sinners Say I Do: Mercy”

This marks the start of the second day of the IBCD Summer Institute, Families Shaped by Grace, and what can I say? I have been encouraged to infuse my family life with grace, challenged to see my sin for what it is, and been given the tools to counsel others (and myself) through Dark Providence.

This morning, Dave Harvey spoke on the topic of Mercy in marriage. He opened up for us Luke 6:27–36 and showed that “What it really means to follow the savior is to love your enemies.” He skillfully showed us how we are God’s enemies and yet He showed us mercy in sending His son to reconcile us to himself.

Harvey showed us what shaping family life in light of Mercy looks like:
  1. Mercy is Kindness
  2. Mercy in Covering
  3. Mercy for Weakness
Some memorable points from this session were:
  • In the cross, weakness becomes a place of mercy and forbearance.
  • Patience from God does not terminate on us, it is for us to pass along.
  • Of confrontation Harvey said, Mercy looks for patterns and offers observations not conclusions. Our intent is to connect a fellow sinner with their savior.
I have been so encouraged by these talks.

No comments:

Post a Comment