Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Pay Careful Attention to Yourselves and To All the Flock




This week a friend of mine left the church where he serves as pastor and resigned his membership in the PCA altogether.  He cited significant changes in his views that are quite contrary to the core of the Gospel. We were Westminster Seminary classmates and continued to spend time together at the yearly General Assembly of the PCA.  Sadly the same day I heard about this, I also learned that another friend from seminary has renounced his faith.  (Needless to say it was a difficult week). 

I’m not writing to speak about my friend who left the PCA, or his views.  Frankly there has been a lot of venom in the blogosphere aimed at him with this announcement.  Questions and discussion may be warranted since he was fairly well known in the PCA,  but harsh and cruel speech should have no place in the discussion.  He's a friend of mine and deserves to be treated with dignity.  

But I do feel compelled toward some self-examination this week.  This might seem odd at first, but when a friend and fellow pastor walks away from what I believe is biblical orthodoxy, or when someone with whom I sat in seminary classes abandons their profession of faith altogether, I can’t help but remember that I am just a man.  A weak sinner in need of grace.  

As I am thinking through this week’s sermon in our series on Ephesians, Paul’s words to the Ephesian elders in Acts 20 have been powerful and helpful for me this week.  Here are a few phrases from Paul’s speech that struck me, particularly in light of hearing sad and discouraging news:

“I do not count my life of any value, nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.”(v. 24)

 Paul has just told them that prison and suffering is awaiting him in his ministry, but he has a proper view of himself.  Physical well-being is not important to him. All that matters is finishing the calling God had given to him.  My prayer this week has been this:  “Lord help me to finish the course you’ve laid out for me.”  None of us is beyond sin, error or rebellion (Don’t get me wrong; I do not believe a true Christian can lose their salvation.  That’s the subject of another article).  The moment I begin to “count my life of any value” or as “precious to myself,” I will be tempted to waver from the course God has laid out for me.


“Pay careful attention to yourselves…”(v. 28)

Our own souls need regular faithful tending in the Gospel.   I need to be reminded of who I am in Christ regularly.  If do not take heed to myself, how can I minister to others?  This applies not just to elders, but to everyone.  When Paul says “pay careful attention to yourself,” he is encouraging us to not neglect caring for our own spiritual health.  A steady diet of the Word, prayer, sacraments, fellowship with God’s people, singing God’s praise, etc.  are vital to keep my focus on what God has done for me in Christ.

“And to all the flock…”(v. 28) 

There is a connection Paul makes between caring for myself and caring for others as an elder. If I am drying up spiritually and not nurturing the health of my own soul through then I won’t have much to give others.   Two thoughts come to mind: First, pray for your elders in this regard, that we would be strengthened regularly in the Gospel of grace.  But also, recognize that this generally applies to all believers, not just elders.  As John Piper once said, “You cannot commend what you do not cherish.”  As the Gospel becomes more precious to us, it will spill over into our relationships and we will be able to give that Gospel to others. 

“…In which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God, which He obtained with His own blood.” (v. 28)

This verse stuns me, partly because of God’s sovereign calling upon elders to their work.  But what captures me is the last phrase: "…the church of God, which He obtained with His own blood.”  What encouragement this brings to weak sinners!  To know that we are HIS!  Bought by His blood, His church, His bride.  Because honestly, the call to care for our own souls and the call to care for the souls of others is a daunting task for which none of us are sufficient!   The command is clear: “Pay attention to yourselves and to all the flock…” but the strength and security is found here:  Jesus purchased this flock.  He purchased me, with all my weakness and failure.  I am His, and He is mine, and this now frees me from the bonds of self-effort and gives me instead the power of a loving Savior who will enable me to walk the life of faith and serve in His kingdom.  As your pastor, it is reassuring to know that Jesus is the Lord of the church, and while He calls me to labor among you with all my might, the results are up to God, not me. 

“And now I commend you to God and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up and to give you the inheritance among all those who are sanctified.” (v.32)

Paul knew He would probably never see the elders at Ephesus again in his lifetime.  This brought great sadness to them all, and yet Paul knew that what they really needed was not himself, but God and His grace.  Paul seems to be saying this:  “I cannot be with you any longer, but what you really need is God and His Word of grace.  That’s your greatest need.”  God himself was the one who would continue the work in their hearts.  He is the one who will bring them home to their inheritance one day.  How?  By the Word of His grace.  When Paul couldn’t be there, God would be, giving them the Word of grace that is able to build them up.  There is a great certainty provided for us here.  God’s grace poured out is the hope for our spiritual strengthening.   Paul “commended” them to God and to that certain hope.  The word means to give over or to entrust someone to another’s care.  Paul had an unshakeable confidence in God’s ability to care for His church. 

Now don’t get the wrong idea: I don’t have any plans to go anywhere!  And yet what we all need is no different.  We need God and His word of grace to fill us and sanctify us.    As the church that Jesus bought with His own blood we are also given a certain present path (that His grace can build us up) and a certain future – an inheritance among all those who are sanctified.  

Lord willing, I will stay the course, feast on the Gospel, give it away to you as much as I am able, finish the race and minister with you until I have no strength left in me or God calls me home.  And yet, even now while I am still with you, I commend you to the Word of His grace.  May the Lord who bought our souls continue to build us up in spiritual strength.

In need of grace,

Pastor David





No comments:

Post a Comment